What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Gibbons Training Grenade - Restore or leave?

Millsman

Premium Member
Picked up this Gibbons training grenade the other week. Looks like it been sitting on a garage shelf for 90 years. Has a lovely brown rust cover but has picked up traces of either black paint or bitumen. The screw holding the sprint has been hammered so the slot for a screwdriver is no longer there. Even the base plug needs work to see the details.

SSCN5569.JPGSSCN5570.JPGSSCN5571.JPGSSCN5572.JPGSSCN5574.JPG

Question is restore to good condition or leave it?

That really is a "sleeper" Good find though. If it was mine I would go for a brass wire brush and WD40, not much else. Tony.

What restoration needs to be done, John? It's a nice original find and all that is needed is a good clean in soapy water, and thorough drying, as then as Tony says application of a small brass wire brush and WD40. The soft brass screw may well have suffered the damage landing on a hard surface during its working life so should be left as is. What lever was found with it? Also is the body marked with an H under the lever?

Tom.

Hi Tom

There's no H under the lever. There was no lever with it but I've added a ridged lever which shows the spring still works very well. The damage to the screw means it will have to stay put though there's a load of dirt under it which is not very accessible.

The fact that there is paint/ bitumen over the plug and parts of the body tells me a clean up is required but the rusty patina is also rather nice.

I've cleaned it up.

The deciding factor was the black tar / bitumen that was speckled on the body and the plug.

I'm glad I did.

The clean up revealed the following

1. A crack in the body - understandable if used in training.
2. Base Plug dated 1 / 17 and maker marked JGW No 23 Mk II (Same as the one in my collection)
3. The spring is marked

*** Gibbons
Patent Applied for
4/16

(*** Looks like)

4. Body has a 5 mould mark under the lever.
5. A chipped shoulder

So I'm pleased I cleaned it up. I've never seen the markings on the Gibbons Spring before. I've had a few over the years but this is the first marked spring I've seen.

John

Thanks, that's a very nice example. It shows the light zinc coating that was applied. I have one in similar condition.