What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

47mm hotchkiss projectile stamp

earni74

Premium Member
can anyone identify this stamp on the projectile rotating band and on the base of the projectile
also stamped on the base of the projectile is Hotchkiss Paris,thanks487.jpg485.jpg484.jpg481.jpg

Hi,

Second picture (base of the proj) is blurry. It's difficult to read. Could you post another one ?

006.jpgHi, this is the best photo I can get with my camara of the base of the shell, thanks

The three right angle symbols stamped on the driving band and base remind me of the headstamp date code system used by the German ammunition company GECO (Gustav Genschow & Co., ) from about 1965 to about 1985. For the GECO code list see: https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/geco-i-30-carbine/1639.

So that raises the question do the right angle symbols on the 47mm projectile represent a code for a number or a set of numbers?

Brian

Last edited:
These might relate to a foreign non European country as these could have been sold to anyone anywhere as complete rounds or reloading components and may have gone through another inspection in an overseas arsenal. Example, the loaded complete Hotchkiss rounds sold to Japan do not appear to have Japanese markings (based on complete unmarked Hotchkiss projectiles in Japan, those elements that seem to have been sold for reloading do have markings and paint. The ready to go ammunition was issued as is, components went to arsenals where is was proofed painted and so it seems never fuzed or used or at least the few that turn up weren't. This is how I see it at anyrate.

My conundrum is this 37mm Hotchkiss with these markings on the base and remains of red paint on the upper projectile. I have no idea to whom those markings belong.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
thanks for your input gspragge, its another mystery that I am hoping will be solved eventually.
Hi Tim, its the same one, I can't remember what was said on the day, I will be keeping the projectile and hope I can get it identified eventually
MICK