What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unidentified 40 mm SAP-projectile

Toranaga

Ordnance approved
All,

Attached some pictures of an unidentified 40 mmSAP-projectile.

Some details:

• Exact diameter on the body: 39.7 mm
  • Exact diameter on the driving band: 42.7 mm
  • Length of the projectile: 156 mm
  • Width of the driving band: 17.9 mm
  • Distance from base to driving band: 16.6 mm
  • Diameter of the hole in the base: 14.8 mm
  • Depth of the hole: 129.8 mm
  • Referring to the general design the projectile could date from second world war era or later.
  • Referring to the design of the driving band could be of British origin, but this is just a guess.
  • Strangely the hole to fit the fuze/tracer has no screw-thread.
  • Copper driving band with 2 grooves.
  • 1 crimping groove for cartridge case under the driving band.
  • No visible paintings or markings.

Is anyone able to tell its origin and may be also providemore technical details?

Thanks,

Laurens

DSC_9228.JPGDSC_9229.jpgDSC_9231.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

An idea to help.
Could it be a shell for 42mm Nordenfelt gun ?
I know 42mm was used in spain (or other country with spanish language, Argentina).
42mm were found in Italia too. "Fert" knows these rounds.
The band is different on spanish and italian shells (british design but little different)

Regards

1.65in 42mm.jpg42mm spain.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this type of driving band on other projectiles, other calibres of your museum. Try to find them back and so you can determine the nationality. That shall can help to identify.

Yoda

I have 2 Italian Nordenfelt nose fuzed rounds with similar bands. One is from late 1800s. the other WW1. The major difference is the fuze.