What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

belgium n°36 pratice

ludokhan

just for your eyes , lot and lot of pictures :tinysmile_shy_t: 01f - Copie.jpg01g.jpg01i.jpg
look at the picture with the hole in the center tube For assisting the evacuation of the smoke from the detonator (prac)01a.jpg01b.jpg

Maybe I am missing something, but is there a marking to indicate that this is Belgium? I am trying to figure out all of these Mills and all the different countries involved.

Joe

The base plug looks a bit South African. The method of linking the body to the lever has been used by Belgium since 1917.

Here's a photo of a grenade in my collection which has a soldier's leather bootlace as the connector. Note the quick re-cocking base plug

belgian trainer 1918.JPG

Belgian paint scheme. 1918 Base plug.

The pin was actually a British design. Frederick Gibbons took out patent 111,949 in early 1917 for this type of pin. The British Army conducted trials with it in 1918 but rejected it as when used with grenades loosely packed in a bucket tended to catch on other pins. The Belgians did adopt it and the French made a variant of it.

Of course when I write Belgium ,I mean used by the Belgium army,
The Belgian has never produced ''mills'' on its territory to my knowledge....

The plug is well south african.