What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Government Has Sodium Cyanide M44 Bombs Laying Around all over the West

M8owner

I had no idea our Government left bombs laying around all over the US.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...cyanide-bombs-after-death-of-family-pet?sc=tw

An M-44 device — also known as a "cyanide bomb" for the way it sprays sodium cyanide — sits nested between two rocks. Several petitions are now calling for the removal of these devices used to protect livestock from predators. Mark Mansfield, father of a boy accidentally sprayed March 16 in Idaho, calls M-44s "neither safe nor humane."
user25110-1489723921-media1-f6e02d0ff5bb9d763f6e033c36b593edc7722048-s1200.jpg

Last edited:
Does make you wonder what goes on in the world. Are the public aware of this or are these devices planted randomly.

The M-44 has been in use for a very long time, at least since the late 60's. It replaced an earlier primer fired device called the "coyote getter" that first came out in the early 50's. You have to be trained and licensed before you can buy them. I'd say someone lost track of one of their traps. Generally they are kept pretty close watch on, since they are very effective against these predators.

I watched the you tube movie...and I wonder ...wouldn't it be smart to wear gloves and a gas mask when installing these things. The more you place of them, the bigger the chance that one fires accidently and kills the guy who places them.

these have been arpiund for years, the US forestry and wildlife used them back in the 50s for coyotes. used them up until the mid 60s then out lawed. You might still find some that were not recovered, but doubt they are still much of a hazard/ Coyotes would bit the rabbit fur and then pull the string that started the pyro, which released the agent as a smoke gas. I recovered 3 of these from WY one year. This is no conspiracy or gvt attack.