What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

260 lb. M81 and AN-M81 Fragmentation Bomb

Antoon

Ordnance approved
I know that U.S. Ordnance approved by the Army-Navy Standardization Board have the prefix “AN”, but is there a difference between a M81 fragmentation bomb and a AN-M81 Fragmentation bomb. I think they are the same.

As far as I know in the initial production the nose and tail pieces are of cast steel construction and screwed onto a central section of seamless steel tubing. A square helical steel spring is wounded around the steel tubing. The second version has one steel tubing from front to end with the helical steel spring wounded around for the entire length of the bomb.

Am I correct that the M81 is made in both versions, and that the AN-M81 is made only with the helical spring wounded over the entire length of the bomb? Or can you find AN-M81’s also in two versions.

Another question. Was the M81 during trials initial named T10? There is a German drawing from a M81 bomb that has the markings FRAG 260 LB. T.10 LOT N-1-5 12-43 stamped in the tailpiece of the bomb.

For a book I am writing, I am looking for a good picture of a P-47 Thunderbolt with two 260 lb. fragmentation bombs under the wings. Also pictures of a P-47 with a igniter fuzed belly tank and nice pictures of B-17’s with 260 lb. bombs are also welcome. If the pictures are free for publication I maybe will use them in the book with credit to the person who have supplied the picture.

Greetings – Antoon

The only difference was that on the AN-M81 the nose and tail parts were of rolled steel, as the rest of the bomb body (M81 had originally such parts made of cast steel).
This, beyond the AN standard addition of a 3rd point of attachment at the center of gravity (diametrically opposed to the regular fixations) for compatibility with British bomb racks

Last edited:
The "AN" stood for Army Navy, which meant both services could use it. The U.S. Air Force didn't exist till after WWII.