What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killed dropping a depth charge

ROBIN BIRD

TANNER's notes on armament trials conducted by the MAEE during WW11 are a fascinating, unique read, Ref my recent posting 'RDX question.' For not only does he include details of the weapon and trial but the aircraft used and the name of the pilot. Depth charge trials, for example, were conducted by Stuart Carswell in Mosquito ML899 fitted with a special radio altimeter to judge the height over water. This was all top secret stuff. Carswell and his crew were later killed dropping an experimental depth charge when Wellington NA929 crashed in October 1945. Several MAEE/RAF personnel and civilian air crew died while conducting trials of aircraft and weapons. My late father, who survived the war, was the MAEE photographer for the Highball trials on Loch Striven, hence my interest in this subject. Fatal crashes were recorded by the MAEE as 'flying accidents.' I will post details of other trials, if there is interest, as I would appreciate feedback as in the case of RDX

robin bird

Interesting to read how the "flying accidents" happened. There is a film clip of a bouncing bomb, bouncing up into the aircraft smashing its tail off, obviously was flying a bit to low and in the zone of the bomb itself.

yes, it was a choppy sea and the explosion that caught MAEE Mosquito DZ579 G (G for Guard at all times) killing Sqd Ldr A Jacques and his co pilot days after the Wellington fatality.
robin

Tanner blamed the loss of Wellington NA929 on the fact that the experimental depth charge was fitted wit two pistols giving a choice of deep or shallow firing and probably the wrong one was selected. Tanner flew regularly with the pilot Stuart Carswell and made his observation to his commanding officer. I don't think this has ever been mentioned in the public domain. Tanner would have normally flew with Carswell but he was back at Felixstowe while Carswell was still based at Prestwick. Tanner says in his notes 'I liked to do the first drop on any new weapon, such as this Royal Navy 250 lb depth charge.' He added that Carswell was MAEE's most experienced pilot.