What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L2A2 Grenade Unfilled

roller63

Premium Member
I found this nice unfilled L2A2 grenade at a fair yesterday. It's missing it's bottom cap, but otherwise complete. I wonder if anyone recognises the markings, as I don't. Maybe the symbol is the manufacturers mark ? Any comments welcome.SAM_0001.JPGSAM_0002.JPG

The B points me to Spanish. But I wouldn't hang my at on that. Especially with the other marking next to it.

Joe

Tony,

I have an inkling that it might be British Aerospace. You might remember that British Aerospace Defence Ltd [other names followed] effectively took over the UK Royal Ordnance Factories and their intellectual property (such as the L2 Grenade). I have seen the marking before but of course I cannot remember where. It is not the correct format for a British Service manufacturing marking so perhaps it is an exhibition piece. APX manufactured L2A1 grenades and possibly the A2 version.

Perhaps someone has an idea for finding Logos since the stylised aircraft after the 'B' might be a registered logo.

Sorry about the vagueness if this.

Norman

I would suggest that it is likely to be part of a trials serial.
As the number is neatly stencilled and there are no other markings, it is likely to be a BAe trial. Trials I was involved in were well down the line and serials were almost always put on with permanent marker pen.
There are all sorts of trials for body design strength and checking fittings of levers, dets, etc. long before filling.
After this trials to see that they work, then shake, rattle and roll, plus anticipated in-service climatic conditions, followed by seeing whether they still work after all this.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Just as a matter of interest what happened to all of the trials debris and inert bodies?

Norman, I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one. I expect 81 is the date ? I have had a quick look online for BAE logos, but haven't found one exactly the same yet. An exhibition piece would make sense too, seeing as it has an open base, making it easy to see that it's empty.
Thanks for your input too Bill, much appreciated.
Tony.

Inert debris went to smelters or furnaces under supervision and were melted down/burnt while supervisors were present, but such was the volume that in this day and age, nobody stayed due to accommodation costs etc. and I have occasionally seen inert items some years ago, on which I recognised the writers hand.
Live items were destroyed in situ but if they were safe to move could be destroyed elsewhere.

Tony,

There appears to be three letters cast on the side of the striker mech' if they are, what are they?

Also, on the other side of the mechanism, is there a SX number?

TimG