What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Identify?

Krodj

Hello, Everyone ...

Would you please help me identify the brass shown in the figures below?

What you see is a shell that was modified to be a torch used by an Engineer with the Canadian National Railway system. He retired in 1951, so the shell is older than that. The cartridge was filled with oil, and a wick inserted through the head of the unit. When the flame was on, it was used to defrost parts of a steam engine during the Canadian winter.

I was not able to find a headstamp, and there is only one numeral imprinted along the length - a "785" at the base of the black area.

Thank you for your assistance.

Length and Wick.jpg785.jpgBase.jpg

I don't think that it was a cartridge case. It might have been a grease gun or something similar. The rim isn't shaped right for a cartridge, and the sides look straight, not tapered.

Mr.Hazord is right, look at the junction of the rim and the main body, you can see soldering lines, that would be a weak point for pressure and a "no-no" for ammo. But a neat item nevertheless.

I think it is a Locomotive Oil Lamp made by CNR Engineering. I think I've seen one long ago. I am searching the net for one.