What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Vulcan Mk149 APDS types (20x102) - looking for correct designations/Mod numbers

orpheus72

Premium Member
I recently got some new types APDS rounds for the 20x102 Phalanx (and other systems).

For the Mk 149 rounds Mod 0 (Black w. pin), Mod1 (black), Mod3 (orange), Mod4 (white) and Mk244 Mod 0 (red) it's either marked on the case, or there is (factory-)information available...

Does anyone have an idea about the correct designation of the Yellow and Green colored sabots ? (guess they're also Mk149's but what Mod ?)

I found some info (I believe from Tony) on the green one that it could be experimental, but nothing definitive.....

Attachments

• APDS all Types.jpg
    APDS all Types.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 68
I forget now where the information came from, but I can confirm that the green sabot indicates an experimental round. It may be found as a display item.

I've never seen a yellow one before!

Go to the General Dynamics Ordnande and tactical systems web site. The pictures there are as good as you will get for them. When I worked for GD-OTS at their Marion, Illinois plant we loaded them, 20mm, 25 and 30mm.

The enhanced MK 149 was a treat, as the propellant had to be condensed to a pretty good pressure then the projectile inserted into the cart case before the propellant started "pop corning" out. This increased propellant density gave the projectile a faster speed.