What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Souvenir "Artillery" container ? 1 7/8"

Gspragge

Premium Member
I have no idea what these are for. Made of Aluminium with a
cardboard tube insert. No markings beyond the date strip on each.
Does any one know anything about these. They need a clean,
seem to have had tape on them and who knows what.
Length 6 1/8" inches.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 3.jpg
    IMG_0001 3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0002 3.JPG
    IMG_0002 3.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0003 2.jpg
    IMG_0003 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 40
I think these are sweet boxes, I believe they contained candies or chocolates, sold during the Great War hence the 3 years mentioned, 13-15-16... Other types exist made only of cardboard. This version appears to be the commonest one and surfaces regularly. Although not proper ordnance, it is ordnance related and a nice piece of conversation. Shell shape containers are scarce but interesting to collect.
Right after the 1870 war, shell-looking bottles were made to contain water, interestingly they were in the shape of a German shell without the lead driving band. Another little shell-shape night light was sold during the Great War, it was made of glass as well. There is also a money box made of metal, almost the size of a 75mm shell, as well as a smaller porcelain one, painted horizon blue. If someone knows more about this subject I'll be happy to have more info.

Thanks, I'll have to clean them a little and straighten the rim on one. They didn't cost much $10 cdn for the pair. Are they
of British origin ? Would there have been another label on them at one time ?