What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was lucky to find these the other day

earni74

Premium Member
I was lucky to find these 37mm projectiles the other day, two of which I have not identified as yet, the fuze for the Grussen projectile is missing019.jpg011.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg002.jpg018.jpg

can anyone shed any light on the two projectiles on the left hand side of the main photo

not that lucky Roger, this kind of luck only happens once in a blue moon !
cheers
Mick

Hello Mick,
I confirm, really Lucky !

The second seems to be South African, without fuse.
But the first ?? Norwegian ?
37x94r-ZA-001-02.jpg37x94r-ZA-001-05.jpg37x94r-ZA-001-04.jpg
Didier

082.jpg081.jpg083.jpg084.jpg085.jpg086.jpg089.jpgHi Didier, more photo's of the two projectiles I could not find info on.
#2 has no thread for a fuze and the base has casting voids so I assume it
is a reject projectile.
#1 has a threaded hole at the nose ???
thanks Mick

Hi Mick,
# 2: yes, I think like you, South African shell repelled or used as a decorative object. Like the # 1 that may have been used for a lamp (the fine thread of the nose is not centered properly).

This might be helpful, very likely an unfinished Boer projectile, extremely interesting.

Messrs Wright, Boag & Co., responsible for some of the casting; Delfos Brothers, etc. Pom-pom cartridge cases were also re-used and the section of the report
dealing with ammunition for the Maxim-Nordenfeldt reads:

‘The 1.5 inch guns were fired a great deal at the beginning of the war, so that the great stock at the Artillery Camp, received at the commencement of 1899,
was soon exhausted. In February, the “Gouvernement Artillerie Werken” received an order to make this ammunition. On account of the enormous difficulties
experienced, they were not able to make the first projectiles till the end of March. During the month of April, they made about 2 500, of which one third was
lost in the explosion. Afterwards, they supplied the Transvaal Government with about 3 500, of which about 1 500 were at the Powder Factory on 27th May
and were sent back to Pretoria with a great quantity (about 5 000) of re-formed and re-capped cases; of these 1 500 hardly one quarter was completed;
the remainder were not loaded or fixed in the cases.‘ At the Begbie factory, they left some thousands of projectiles in the yard whose casting had been stopped
a fortnight before the closing of the works.

Last edited: