What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polish grenade fuze wz31 markings

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

What mean numbers 2, 3 or 4 on Polish grenade fuze GR31 (Bornstein design) ?

Regards

GR31.jpg

Hello,
I think it should be the lot number, since GRANAT was the company and should not be so bigger as to have 2, 3 or 4 factories. In Spain, during the Civil War, the Republicans used this fuze in the grenade model D (it was denominated in Spain http://amonio.es/grana_defen_d.htm). I attach photos of this grenade and her cousin, the polish grenade with fuze GR.WZ 31, used en the Spanish War too.

I send attach the 1930 french patent of that fuze of the Polish company Granat, too.

Note: The fuzes and the granades of the photos were deactivated for spanish EOD (TEDAX) of the National Police.

IMG_1456_peq.jpgIMG_1462_peq.jpgIMG_1511_peq.jpgmarcajes_eienhandgranate_01.jpgmarca_gn31.jpgmarca_granat.jpg

1930_FR_0706152_Granada_Mano_Granat_PL_Página_1.jpg1930_FR_0706152_Granada_Mano_Granat_PL_Página_2.jpg

Last edited:
The story says sir BORNSTEIN proposed his new grenade fuze to French but was rejected ; French continued to use the dangerous and non waterproof fuze Billant 16 !
So the inventor sold his invention to Polish. The fuze entered in service with Gr31 designation.
But in 1935 the fuze was adopted by French with designation "Bouchon Allumeur 35" and was in service until the 1970s.
In 1940 German came in France with captured Polish grenade fuzed with GR31 !

BORNSTEIN BA35.jpg

I'm stupid.

I am searching for "Bornstein" and the corret name is "Borstein".
Sorry for making you waste your time.

Greeting

Last edited:
Sorry, I was sure the name was "BORNSTEIN" but on my doc it's "BORSTEIN".
Now I'm confused. I think it could be the same inventor with a mistake on the doc I show.
Very strange to have two French grenade devices inventors at the same time with a similar name.