What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slics 2017

Slick

St. Louis International Cartridge Show. Made the trip yesterday. A 12 hour day including the 9 hours of driving. Got rid of some stuff and picked up a couple of things. I guessed this was my 6th trip to the event. Might be 7th. Anyway, the selection of all things cartridge/ammo was amazing, as usual. Sadly, the big stuff assortment has waned a bit over the years. I recall the massive displays of the past and noted there were none this year. Just the 200 or so tables full of mostly SAA. Of which there has never been a shortage. The Dutch crew had their usual vast assortment of things I like. And a couple of smaller set ups with some mid sized rounds and officially banned, and unofficially allowed, 'nades and such. Being of the past, I found the prices too high on the bulk of it. That sentiment comes with age, I suppose. It was great to see and commune with the usual suspects roaming the tables and adding to their collections. Of note was a Bombatorium t-shirt. A. As in one. On the proprietor of same. Asked about acquisition options. Apparently, one must visit this faraway land to become a proud owner. Looks like a 730 mile/12 hour one way trip. For a t-shirt. A decision to ponder. But I NEED that t-shirt, so, we'll see. (I'm a L, btw)

Last edited:
Slick, I hope you have your digital camera with you to take pics at SLICS :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Sorry. No pics. It looked the same as always, with less(as in none) spectacular displays.

:tinysmile_shy_t:I hope Dutch tables are still covered with cool food items from Europe:tinysmile_shy_t:

Nice to see you, Rick......even if it was in a flash.
There were a few very nice displays, but of the small stuff, as you said. You should try and stay over a bit next year, gives you a bit more time to dig and "commune".

Nice to see you, Rick......even if it was in a flash.
There were a few very nice displays, but of the small stuff, as you said. You should try and stay over a bit next year, gives you a bit more time to dig and "commune".

Roger that. It was great seeing everybody, brief as it was.
The need for a "parent sitter" negates the longer stay, so a quick trip is all I can muster for the time being. Maybe next year will allow for an overnighter, at least.

haven't been on the BOCN for a while, hence this post is a little disconnected to the event.
However, first time at SLICS (My last was to the Chicago event in '94). The restrictions now of bring ammunition back to Australia made it as much a social event for me as anything. Was great to see many old friends though and make new ones and putting faces to names. Managed to find some nice German 7,9 boxes (the vendor some aghast when I returned the contents to him!) + some nice dummies and Cannon Link from a couple of the Dutch gentlemen (please see my Wanted ad).
A great venue, although the housekeeping a little underwhelming.
All in all a great event, I will do it again, so should you!
regards,
Peter.

Vic does try, but he's not that good with a broom anymore, and he absolutely refuses to wash windows.

Vic does try, but he's not that good with a broom anymore, and he absolutely refuses to wash windows.
Sorry, I didn't mean the meeting room but our individual rooms. Had to go to reception to request fresh linen etc. Heard other complaints of poor or no housekeeping service.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I've been there for many shows in the past 10 years or so, never had an issue or complaint with the hotel. On the contrary, it is extremely rare that you find a hotel that is so willing to put up with our "toys" and allows in-room trading in the days leading up to the show. The only explanation I can think of is that sometimes the cleaning staff gets instructions to do less in the rooms rented under the Conference rate, many of the folks have materials out on display in the room and don't want cleaning folks disturbing them. I would recommend the hotel to anyone.