What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Projectile Fishing net find

kradman

Another Fishing net find , Anyone know what this is from ? , thank you for any help , I have added the wire brush to show size , its 100% inert

Attachments

• SAM_4792.jpg
    SAM_4792.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 128
  • SAM_4793.jpg
    SAM_4793.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 121
  • SAM_4794.jpg
    SAM_4794.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 119
  • SAM_4795.jpg
    SAM_4795.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 116
  • SAM_4796.jpg
    SAM_4796.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 111
Looks like an unfired 1880s Armstrong lead coated projectile,unusual to see an unfired example and the lead is in very good condition.

Nice shell.
Could you give dimensions, I'm interesting to know the model. Obviously MkIII but 12Pr or 20Pr,.... ?

Regards

The broad arrow pattern of that time indicates that it was a Land Service (Army) projectile.

Hi kradman,
thanks for showing this,it's a nice item.
But as its sea recovered get it in fresh water immediately,or it may start to disintegrate,it's a piece worth saving.
see my post on treatment of such items.Soak in a bath of Sodium hydroxide diluted in water,(oven cleaner).This will help to remove
salt.Dont let it dry out yet.
Cheers Tim.

Hi Tim thank you i will do that , anyone have a idea of what it is worth ?as i will put it in the Classifieds