What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6-Pdr Nordenfelt?

ydnum303

44  6Pdr AT & 6Pdr Nordenfelt.jpg45  6Pdr Nordenfelt HS.jpgHi All,
Here are two photos of a case recently acquired. The case appears to be a new, unprimed empty, and is 57 x 408R86, and in the first photo is shown below a 6-pdr 7Cwt case to give an idea of relative size and shape. The second photo shows the headstamp.

Is this what might be termed the 6-Pdr "long" Nordenfelt ("long" to distinguish it from the 57x306R case which is similar to the 6-Pdr Hotchkiss case)?

If not, what is it?

The Royal Navy had a case in WW1 that was referred to as the "6-Pdr Special" which apparently had a case with the same mouth and rim diameters, but a length of 403mm. Does anyone know if this is the same as the subject case, please?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Roger.

It looks to be an export case, supplied to a foreign navy, possibly for a gun made by EOC. not much help I'm afraid but a look thru' Janes Ships of WW1 might give a clue but definitely nothing in that book about case sizes.

Thanks for this, Otter. Be interesting to find out more about the Italian connection. Was it a gun they designed themselves, or did they order it from Vickers, Elswicks, or someone else? What time period was it used in?

I seem to recall that you showed some Nordenfelt rounds on this forum some time ago; - have you got a similar case?

Regards,
Roger.

My interests are things WW1 or earlier, but I found a picture of a 1887 Nordenfelt 57-43 gun in use in WW1. in the US TM-9-1985-6, drawings of Italian 47-43 anti tank gun 57-43,no mention of gun. Hawkinson's book says 57-43 AT, Italy, Navy. In WW1, guns were in short supply for many countries and they switched guns from ships to shore as a result. I have a 57mm Nordenfelt round, but it is in 57x307, Hotchkiss size. Would sure like an example of the 57 x 409R! I would email Fert, as he has a vast supply of info on Italian (and other countires) material.!Good luck in getting more info, these bits might help in tracking it down. Please post it, as I like mysteries solved. Take care, Gerald , the Otter

These cases are used by Italy, Russia, UK and Finland. In my collection I have a WW2 dated Finnish case.
I think it is export as well (UK would not use MM). The font (57 mm) reminds me of Northern Europe countries like Sweden or Finland. Most likely "50.C" would be a big hint, but I do not know for sure.

Nice case!

Thank you Otter
I'm in line with Hoeksel.
Russian Hotchkiss 57mm L/40 and /50 used same 57x307R case.

case showed match with italian 57/43 Nordenfeld mod 1887 (57x407R).
In the book Soviet Cannon, by Christian Koll it's mentioned a 57mm for coast defence, no lenght in caliber but the barrel is 2727mm (2727/57= approx L/48). case is 57x410 R86.3mm I think differences in lenght due to conversion.
regards