What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you banned from owning fireworks if you have ever been in prison?

Falcon

Someone I spoke to once said that they had done time in prison in the past.

They claimed that as a result of that, they were banned for life from buying or possessing fireworks.

I have never heard that before, and have never known anyone be asked if they have ever been imprisoned when buying fireworks. There is also nothing about it on the wikipedia page on UK fireworks law.

Does anyone with any knowledge of explosives law know any more?

Last edited:
News to me and I own a firework company! I suppose it could be a stipulation by the CPS on this individual and presumably if so something to do with his particular crime?
The closest I know of is under regulation 9 of the Control of Explosives Regulations, it stipulates that where there is a conviction under the ESA (even if a custodial sentence is not imposed) a lifetime prohibition is imposed on the defendant from working in an employment where he handles explosive substances or restricted substances.

C.

Some misinformation, disinformation, chinese whispers, rumour mongering or similar.
"Prohibition" extends only to those explosives requiring certification. Fireworks dont appear on explosives certificates.
Terms of "prohibition" vary dependant upon the length of the custodial sentence or the type of offence.

For a full definition of prohibition please refer to the interpretation given in Explosives Regulations 2014 Regulation 2 - "Prohibited Person".

Please PM if further advice needed on prohibitions and employment of prohibited persons.

Danny

Any one who has a sentence over 4 years ( judges give a sentence of 4 years 1 day so you are on the list ) has to sign the register to never have various items in there possession for life in UK, fire works and even party popers are some of those items, you can chose not to sign it and do your full jail term and still be banned for possessing these items.
If I find my form I signed I will post it here

I can confirm what millsbomber says, a close friend of mine was prohibited to have any of the above after being released from prison for armed robbery.

Tony