What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I d this projectile

Hi,
Can one of the experts identify and date this projectile for me please. Weight approx 6 Lbs. length 6.75 inches. Diam. 2 inches. (Sorry for the old measurements but still can't get my head around metrics). The silver paint may not be original but I have left it on pending expert opinion.
regards
Jim

DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpg

Jimbo,
Take some of the silver frost paint off the side of the proj. using a wire buff wheel (take care not to touch the copper drive band), you should be able to find some markings on the side of the proj somewhere.
As Hazord has mentioned it looks very much like a 6pdr 7cwt anti tank gun armour piercing projectile of WWII vintage. Quite common in Oz mate.
Regards Ozzi.

If you fancy a repaint job, it should look like the third from the right in this pic from my Ammo Photo Gallery: http://quarryhs.co.uk/tankuk2.jpg

From left to right: 57x307R 6pdr 8cwt / 6cwt (WW1), 47x351R 3 pdr 2 cwt (interwar APHE), 40x304R 2 pdr No.2 AP (WW2), 40x304R 2 pdr No.2 SV Mk 1 (Littlejohn squeezebore), 40x304R 2 pdr No.2 SV Mk 2 (Littlejohn squeezebore, repP),40x304R 2 pdr No.2 HE, 57x441R 6 pdr 7 cwt AP (WW2 - also US 57mm AT, Molins naval and aircraft guns), 57x441R 6 pdr 7 cwt APCBC, 57x441R 6 pdr 7 cwt APDS (repP)

Hi All,
I have removed the silver frost. I can't see any markings on the side. I think I will leave it as is now. Can any member in Oz help with a WW2 dated casing at a reasonable price?
DSC_0001.jpg

G-Day Jimbo,
Your proj. may have been taken off the production line before being finished, so did not get its final ID & inspection stamps, this is what it should look like.
I may be able to help out with a cart. if you have something to trade?
Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• 6pdr 7cwt AP.jpg
    6pdr 7cwt AP.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 51