What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vickers Projectile (VSM)

Malmaison

Hi,

Can anyone help with information on this projectile please. Anything you can tell me about it would be very much appreciated! (it'd be great if someone has a cutaway version or diagram to see it's construction, etc.). It is obviously unfired as the driving band is intact.

Can the age be determined by the very few markings or any other distinguishing features?

It appears to be permanently fixed to the brass base / plinth which has been added (not sure how it is attached as there are no visible means of fixing and doesn't seem to be screwed on...?)

It is approx 6.5 inches (16.5cm) tall with a diameter of 1.9 inches (4.8cm).

Thank you!

VSM 1 Low.jpgVSM 2 Low.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Malmaison,
It looks to be a 47mm / 3pr projectile, i would suggest it has been fixed to the plinth via a bolt to the base that may of been threaded for a base fuze.
Best regards Weasel.

Last edited:
Thanks Weasel,

I think you could be right about the brass base having a thread / bolt. I did wonder if that could be how it is secured...I tried really hard to unscrew the base but it doesn't move at all (possibly through years of not moving...or could it be a reverse thread and I have actually been turning it in the opposite direction?).

The age of your projectile can only be estimated. Vickers, Sons & Co. merged with Maxim Nordenfelt Gun and Ammunition Co. in 1896 to form Vickers, Sons & Maxim. The use of the VSM stamp on casings has been observed from 1901 to 1928.

Usually, fuzes, tracers, igniters etc. which screw into the base of a projectile are left hand threaded so that they do not unscrew on firing.

Hi,
and here's3 pdr Common Shell Mark II.JPG3 pdr Shell Mark II.JPG
If you want I can send you the "Handbook 3 pdf Nordenfelt Quick Firing Gun"

document stored in download "Small arms and ammunition"
Name: 3 pdr Nordenfelt Quick Firing Gun"
cheers