What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soviet ARS-70 rocket origins

Grzesio

I'm perfectly confused with the Soviet ARS-70 air to air rocket developed until 1957.
It's generally said to be a derivative of the German 7,3 cm R. Sprgr. (aka Foehn) spin stabilized rocket, designed by the OKB-16 - but the only picture I managed to find (e.g. here: http://www.airwar.ru/weapon/anur/ars70.html ) shows a slender fin stabilized rocket, clearly of the R 4 M type rather than the stubby Foehn.

And so I wonder - what's wrong here? Was the rocket spin stabilized indeed and the picture is wrong, or had the rocket nothing in common with the 7,3 cm R. Sprgr.?
Sadly, I couldn't find any specifications of the ARS-70,which could cast light on this puzzle.

This missile was created simultaneously with ARS-57 by one design team. Therefore, they are very similar. We can say that the ARS-70 was an increased version of the ARS-57. There are no data on it, as it was not serially produced.