What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification 2

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Another one. Sorry the picture are not great. 15cm diameter at the base and 11.5cm high. Numerous numbers on it but of no significance to me.

Thanks

D

DSC00599.JPGDSC00600.JPGDSC00601.JPGDSC00602.JPG

Hello,

Looks like a mechanical time device of German air-dropped underwater mine like LMB (hydrostatic clock)

Regards

LMB.jpgLMB2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This may sound like a dim question, but how would it work? It doesn't look like the housing is water or airtight so what would set the clock off?

D

From an US doc, not sure if 100% right.
Arming Function :
When the mine reaches the bottom, hydrostatic pressure starts the arming clock which may be set from
1/2 hour to 6 days. The clock starter may have a soluble washer, depending on the clock type used.
Starting of the clock also arms the antirecovery switches, if fitted. Also, the intermediate switch, if used,
electrically connects the PSE circuit or any other destruct circuits which may be fitted in the mine. When
the arming clock runs off its set time, it closes switches which activate the firing mechanism. The firing
mechanism then sets itself to the ambient magnetic field, and sets its own sensitivity relative to this
ambient field. The mine is then armed.