What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help identify this 47mm Hotchkiss Round

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,
Can anyone tell me more about this Hotchkiss 47mm?
The Headstamp is an anchor, crossed by 2 zig-zag lines and the numbers 7 over 3.
If possible, I would like to know where/when it was made.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers,
Gary

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This is a Japanese 47x131R 2 1/2 Pdr APHE Naval Hotchkiss Anti Torpedo Boat Deck Gun Round. Theround shown is a Japanese made 47mm round and was used in an anti-torpedo Boat Revolving Cannon Deck Gun by the Japanese Navy in the Sino-Russian War C1901. It has a corrugated brass driving band, 40mm wide. The case is NOT a British EOC export type but an original Japanese made case as indicated by the Anchor stamped on on the base. Hope this helps.

Quicksilver

Does anyone know how so many of these ended up here in the UK?

I always assumed that the EOC made ones never actually went to Japan and were sold off as souvenirs. However, this wouldn't explain how the original Japanese cases got here.

Did the Royal Navy buy any of the guns or ammunition back during WW1 when other Japanese weapons were used, for example Arisaka rifles?