What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification 7

3-inch HOW I think but I will check. Obsolete within a year of introduction (Apr 43 - Feb 44).

The 3-inch Tank How is mentioned in List of Changes introducing the primer. I cannot find the design drawing but the next one in sequence (not always relevant) shows a 3-inch Tank How shaped charge projectile. the front end of which is very similar the 3-inch SB Smith Gun AT projectile. Close by in the sequence is a 3-inch Tank How cartridge case but this has the normal No 1 Primer.

Last edited:
I had a feeling that it might be for one of Burney's cartridges (Appropriate). For some reason I associate 'PE' with the RCL work. Anyway, the answer to your question is 'not yet'.

It is, as Norman states, a primer for 3" How Cartridge, DD/L/16202.

There is a barely visible 'H' after 'PE' making it a product of Premier Electric Heaters Ltd., Birmingham.

The 3A is a partial 'Empty Lots' number. The 3 denotes 1943, A denotes lots 0 - 250. there should be an additional letter which would identify the primer to within 10 lots.

The primer has been intercepted before being filled, thus there are no other markings and it is missing the percussion cap.

TimG