What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A nice story

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Three years ago a friend of my team took me to the small museum of the association "Somme Aviation 39-45".
Members of the association work hard to recover crash sites of ww1 and ww2 planes in the North of France.
A member explain me he used to find planes buried very deep. One day members found a plane hidden in the ground with remains of a German pilot in the cockpit ! Incredible and facinating.

As I was watching the many engines plane in the museum, I saw on a wall a part of a fuselage with original paint and serial number.
I asked what it was ?
He told me this very nice story : members heard about a spitfire crash in 1943 in a swamp area but they could not find the remnants of the plane.
In 2005 they managed to find the pilot, still alive in Canada ! The pilot was a Polish (Piotr Kuryllowicz) who fought for RAF.
So the pilot described the area of the crash and members found the plane deep in the mud ! The pilot asked members if they found a "crowbar" in the cockpit...because this tool saved his life. He couldn't open the window to jump with parachute so he broke it with the crowbar.
In 2006 the pilot was invited by members in France to see all the part of his plane found in the ground. The old former pilot was very touched when he put his hands on the handle of his machine gun.
The surprise was when members gave the old man his "crowbar". It seems that everyone was crying.

Regards

serial number.jpgengine.jpg

Last edited:
It is never too late to make an effort that honours the men that fought for our freedom and democracy!

Hope the "Somme" group manages to keep up the good work.