What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broad Arrow

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Maybe some one can assist in this ...

I am looking for a source on the history and meaning of the British Broad Arrow marking. What it means and how long it was used.

Does any one know where I can find this information?

Thanks ...

Joe

Thanks ...

I know I have seen this in a book somewhere. I just can't remember where.

Joe

Joe,

Ian Skennerton produced a 140 page book on the subject called 'The Broad Arrow' and Published 2001. It gives lots of data on production, proof, inspection, armourers, Unit and issue markings.

It is probably too detailed for your needs but there will be a few pages giving the info that you are after. Maybe worth borrowing.

There was a note in the IAA Journal Issue 443 (May/June 2005), p.52, wherein it was stated that the Broad Arrow as a device for marking British/English government property was in use as early as 1386. It was still in use in the 1970s, marking various general items of civil service property.

Here is NZ pheon of New Zealand off my land-lease Lee-Enfield (made in US and given to New Zealand)
DSCF2864.jpgDSCF2867.jpg

Why did UK, Canada and India use pheon on their ammo (actual headstamp) but Australia, New Zealand and South Africa did not?

Australia did use the broad arrow on SAA headstamps,I have two .303" examples in my collection...CAC ^ 9 20 VII^ and SAAF ^9 21 VII ^.
Also as a point of intrest ROF Radway Green used the broad arrow as a manufactures symbol from 1940 until 1941 and ROF Spennymore used two broad arrows as manufacturing symbols from 1940 to 1942.

Tony

May you post the Australian headstamps with pheon, espesially SAAF? I never saw them. All mine look like the example below.
.303 Brit MG 1940 VII.jpg

Great, thanks. So how come the Aussies stopped using it after 1920's but other countries continued?

I honestly don't know but I'm sure it only applied to SAA as I have seen broad arrow inspection marks on later Lithgow SMLE rifles...L^3 (Lithgow) and O^2 (Orange),the digets would have been above each other not side by side as seen on here.

PS,I've just found an example of South African use of the broad arrow, broad arrow within a U used as a ownership mark...ref Skennerton page 495 'The Lee Enfield Story'

Last edited: