What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old revolver gun

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
And you think our engineers invented the revolver gun ?
Tss, tss, tss, here a book dated from 1536 where the first prototype of revolver gun is appearing.

Yoda

Attachments

• DSCN7216.jpg
    DSCN7216.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN7217.jpg
    DSCN7217.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 35
That is not really a revolving gun as we know it, because it looks as though the guns fire in all directions at once.
The first revolving gun in which all barrels fire at the same point, as far as I know, is the Puckle Gun of about 1750.
I will not go into why he designed it to fire round bullets against one enemy and square bullets against another, because that would be racist.
There is one surviving example at the Tower Armouries in London.

Last edited:
Wikipedia says:
Puckett (automatic) demonstrated two configurations of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets. The square bullets were considered to be more damaging. They would, according to the patent, "convince the Turks of the benefits of Christian civilization". The weapon was also reported as able to fire shot, with each discharge containing sixteen musket balls.

I knew abut the Christians and the Turks but did not wish to upset anyone in the modern era.
Various reference works on the subject say Puckle.

Actually the ball probably reached higher velocity and flew further than the square so the thinking was most likely incorrect.