What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Aden Round

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Any ideas on this one?
Experimental Aden 30-MM Cartridge. Did it have a nomenclature?

Dia: 30-MM
Length: 202-MM
Cartridge Case Length: 86-MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-77-1.JPG
    ICE-JV-77-1.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 69
  • ICE-JV-77-4.JPG
    ICE-JV-77-4.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 87
  • ICE-JV-77-6.JPG
    ICE-JV-77-6.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 82
30mm x 86b LV (low velocity) ,30mm ADEN LV.
That specimen looks like one of the US versions.

If it is British the colour for experimental is purple. It could well be purple but the colour of the surface behind the projectile may be interfering with the real colour.
Are there any stampings on the case belted base rim?

If it is British the colour for experimental is purple. It could well be purple but the colour of the surface behind the projectile may be interfering with the real colour.
Are there any stampings on the case belted base rim?

Hi, LV expt Adens were painted brown. I have 3 of them, see this thread, posts 1 and 17. They aren't repaints and are all stenciled as being experimental on the projectile.
I don't know when purple was introduced as expt for British rounds but brown was used for sure for Aden expt.
A friend has the 20mm version with an original brown expt painted projectile.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/27629-Mauser-213/page2?highlight=mauser+213
Hope this helps.
Dave.

Thanks Dave,
For some reason i thought the brown stencilled projs. were American,I think the style of marking must have fooled me.

Every British Markings handbook since WWII and possibly before says that experimental ammunition is marked to Colour Dark Violet in accordance with BS381C. These include the Inter Services Markings Handbooks of 1948 and 1960, JSP316 and Def Stan 08-10 to my knowledge.
These 30mm rounds are British and therefore the Brown is correct because the cartridge cases contain low explosive i.e. propellant - I do not know if the projectile has a small low explosive component giving a flash or something.
As you can see from the photo there are exceptions for items which are limited to a specific user. I know that the cases for Injectors EOD were for many years marked as experimental and these fell within the 20 - 40mm range, but without the dark Violet marking because of its limited user.

Attachments

• Marking  20 - 40mm Ammunition - 1.jpg
    Marking 20 - 40mm Ammunition - 1.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The only markings on the item are the ones shown. Evidently we must have forgotten to take pictures of the base of the case.

Joe