What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German shell fragment?

assafx

Good morning.
yesterday, i received an Image of a shell fragment to my email.
i tried but i cannot ID it. I suspect that this is German made WWI artillery shell.

WW1 ממצא במצפה נפת&#1493.jpg

Thank you
Assaf

It looks like a part of a fuze - but by not chance it is german WW1. Is it made from brass?

Guessing - WWII, British No. 117 fuze.

Any chance of a photo of the other side?

TimG

thank you guys.
I made a contact with the person who sent the photo. i will try to meet him this week and photograph it properly.
He says that this fragment seems to be made from cast iron.
He also found it not far from Lifta, at the western edge of Jerusalem.
this was one of the breakthrough points of the British attack in december 8th 1917.

I will update as soon as i can.

Assaf

From the little that I have seen of British fuzes from WW1 HE shell that detonated, my guess is that this is not one of those, as those that I have found are virtually complete except for the base threads and magazine. As Tim says, this fragment is more reminiscent of a British fuze from WW2 (to me it looks similar to a piece of a No 119) but the second character from the left on the top line is like none I have seen on British fuzes from either of the world wars. If the fragment was found in the open then if it were steel or iron I would expect to see rust and if that were cleaned off then I doubt that the markings would be as clear as in the photo. It looks to me like it is brass. Typically the 117 and 119 fuzes of WW2 were opened out at the base from the power of the explosion and often tore along the lines of weakest resistance, such as the detent channels. If it were cast iron I would expect it to have been shattered rather than bent. See also the threads below re the Numbers 117 & 119 fuzes, then compare them with the photos of a couple of examples of the No 100 & No 101 from WW1. Those from WW1 tend to be in much better shape than their later counterparts. Cracks are only just appearing on the No 100 and there seem to be none on the No 101.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/88995-Remnants-of-No-119-Fuzes
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/88994-Typical-remnants-of-No-117-Fuze

P1060113.jpgP1060124.jpgP1060120.jpgP1060117.jpgP1060114.jpgP1060121.jpgP1060118.jpgP1060115.jpgP1060122.jpgP1060119.jpgP1060116.jpg

Last edited:
My apologies for my late reply.
I had to coordinate a visit, in order to see and photograph the fragment.
the person who found it, told me back then that it was iron and as i came in,i noticed that this is brass.
a small cleaning over KEL confirmed it.
It seems to be a fuze fragment. here are the photographs that i took at his home:
P6010261.jpgP6010263.jpgP6010265.jpgP6010267.jpg

Location wise, i still hope/suspect that this is a WWI relic but there is a chance that it is from 1948.

Thank you
Assaf

No. 117 Fuze Manufactured by Wh - Whittaker Brothers (Accrington) Ltd., Pioneer Works, Accrington, Lancashire. Telephone: 2671 and 2672. Telegraphic Address: "Pioneer, Accrington"(Manufacturer of Mangles)

5AB - Empty Lot Series 20 – 30 of 1945

KEL – Kay & Co.(Engineers), Bolton, Lancashire. I suspect they rectified faulty fuzes manufactured by the above. I need to check the contracts.

The attached image is a fuze from my own collection, as can be seen the second letter from the 'Empty Lot' is missing. There is also a complete absence of Inspection or Acceptance marks. Which makes me think Kay & Co were probably 'rectifiers'.

TimG

IMG_3022.jpg

No. 117 Fuze Manufactured by Wh - Whittaker Brothers (Accrington) Ltd., Pioneer Works, Accrington, Lancashire. Telephone: 2671 and 2672. Telegraphic Address: "Pioneer, Accrington"(Manufacturer of Mangles)

5AB - Empty Lot Series 20 – 30 of 1945

KEL – Kay & Co.(Engineers), Bolton, Lancashire. I suspect they rectified faulty fuzes manufactured by the above. I need to check the contracts.

The attached image is a fuze from my own collection, as can be seen the second letter from the 'Empty Lot' is missing. There is also a complete absence of Inspection or Acceptance marks. Which makes me think Kay & Co were probably 'rectifiers'.

TimG

View attachment 133846

Fantastic Thank You !
well that leaves it to be a Jordanian fuze from 1948.
thanks again.

Assaf