What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webbing

SG500

Premium Member
I'm well outside my comfort zone with this.
54 inches long.
Anyone know what its for please?
Thanks.
Dave.

IMG_2390.jpgIMG_2391.jpgIMG_2392.jpg

.303 SMLE or 7.62 SLR sling, Probably used with many more weapons.
The end clips clip on to the webbing part after passing through the sling loops.

Dave . Those slings were introduced during WW1 . If it has a makers mark & WW1 date on one of the brass end plates , it's a valuable item . Could be worth over £100 so check carefully ! Mike

Rifle slings were nominally 46 inches long, the longer sling which was introduced for the Bren was nominally 58 inches, but examples can be several inches shorter.
At 54 inches, I think yours is a Bren sling.

Rifle slings were used with other weapons including the Bren, 2 inch mortar, Bren tripod (pair of slings), etc.
An intermediate extended sling for the Bren used a rifle sling cut in half with a 12 inch section inserted in the middle.
The 58 inch Bren sling was also used with the GPMG.

Thanks for your help guys. I'd never have worked that one out.
If anyone wants to make an offer its going on Classifieds soon, feel free to pm me.
Dave.

Just measured all mine and the early WW1 dated ones are 46 inches and some of the WW2 dated ones are 43.5 inches.
cheers
Andy