What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese items

ozziammo

Greetings all,
I have been asked to identify these two items, one seems to be a radio of some sort & the other a magneto maybe???
Any chance some one might know what some of the writing means?
Thanks in advance.
Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• DSCN1669.jpg
    DSCN1669.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN1673.jpg
    DSCN1673.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1672.jpg
    DSCN1672.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN1674.jpg
    DSCN1674.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1677.jpg
    DSCN1677.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 34
The big items data plate reads;
短波受信機 Short Wave Receiver
型式 Model SRP-2921
and it is dated 昭和 showa 16 (1941)

The small item looks to me like the hand cranked generator used with portable radio sets. If possible please can you post photos of the writing that are in better focus.

Here is the information on the generator, which is a Type 94-6

http://www.cryptomuseum.com/spy/94-6/

The data plate on the one you posted is read right to left, the data plate on the one shown on this website is read left to right.

Although your photo is blurred I can see the character for six, 六 to the left of showa, so your one is dated showa 16 (1941) either as 六一和昭 or as 六十和昭

The red painted characters on the receiver, although badly flaked, look like 南航較通 I don't know the meaning of this but an online translation says it means 'south kiln'

Thank you reccetrooper, excellent info. I will try to get better pics of the plates on the smaller item.
Can you determine what arm of the military were they used in (Army, Navy)?
Thanks,
Regards Ozzi.

The generator is Army use. I don't know about the receiver set, but if both items came together I would assume it to also be Army.

The reason I queried, what service used the items, is because the small generator is the typical army colour, but the receiver is all grey, making me think it may be Navy.
Both items were brought back from Balikpapan by an Australian soldier who fought there.
Thank you, regards Ozzi.