What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 2.75 Inch Aerial Rocket Find - Your Input is Welcome

M8owner

Texas only has two military shows each year, and I found this rocket at one of those today. Since I have never seen one for sale before, I took a gamble and bought it as I was able to get it for $350 - down from the $450 starting point. From what little I now about these they are worth approx. $500 or more. What did I find? Is anyone interested in adding it to their collection in the US?

Attachments

• IMG_3484.jpg
    IMG_3484.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3485.jpg
    IMG_3485.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3486.jpg
    IMG_3486.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3487.jpg
    IMG_3487.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 32
It's a standard 2.75 inch FFAR, Folding Fin Aircraft Rocket. The motor is old, and the old color code (now they are White with a brown band), and appears to have been made in 55. The gray motors are scarce, but not impossible to find. It has a 6.5 Lb. plaster filled practice warhead ( the smallest warhead made), and the fin set is from a loading dummy. There might be a lot number on the fin blades. It is missing the lead lock ring that holds the fin assembly in, so you can grab the fins, and work it back and forth, and pull the whole fin assembly out if you wish.

The Longbow Apache fires a longer Mk. 66 motor with warheads in the 17 Lb. range.

As you know ordnance prices are all over the place. Someone might pay $500.00 for it, but they usually sell in the $150.00 range, maybe a little more for a Gray motor.

Last edited:
Nice find.
The warhead looks appropriate for the period, the current style is a bit longer with a false fuze profile.
These are often displayed with the fins in a forward position ,like your photo, but should be at 45 degrees for a flight position.You might be able to pull the extender out from between the nozzles, that will give correct attitude.

In case you get stuck with it, here's another style warhead that should fit. To add to that part of your new collection.
rocket.whd.2.75 2.jpg

As for the value, I can only go by what I saw a couple of SLICS ago. One table had half a dozen or so 2.75"ers in various states. I can recall $300-$400 price stickers. We all know how that goes. Not an acquirer of those, either, so I just looked and went on. Anyway, the old motor detail may be your saving grace, but rocket collectors are few and far between, so, good luck there. If it REALLY gets in your way, you can send it up here for storage. Just remember to tag it with your contact info.:deal:

I was able to buy one in Canada, just the motor like yours for 100$, and found an old warhead same style as yours from someone here, I think for 25$. I got 200$ when I eventually sold it as it was too big.