What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleepy Mills No.5

dodgydave

I picked up this rather nice sleepy No.5 at Chelmsford Militaria fair today. The space under the lever at the top was full of the dust of time! The spring came out as a selection of parts. I haven't seen this type of lever ribbing before. Burman were well known Motorcycle gearbox manufacturers.
It now sits in my modest collection, having acquired a replacement spring and a gentle waxing.DSCF7471.jpgDSCF7477.jpgDSCF7481.jpgDSCF7487.jpg

Very nice sleepy No.5. Does the filler screw remove or the centrepiece come out?

Tom.

I don't really want to have a go at the filler plug, but the centerpiece looks like it would come out ok. I need to make a tool for doing this, as it's something I could do with, to be honest!

If neither the filler screw nor centrepiece can be removed with relative ease, then they may be cemented in place, as was the practice with filled grenades. The markings indicate the grenade was filled with 2oz ammonal, and whether it still is might be worth considering.

Tom.

Last edited:
Nice grenade Dave. The lever is the rarest part. John

Last edited: