What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holman projector King Edward Mine museum, Nr Redruth, Cornwall

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
an interesting item of AA ordnance developed early WW2 by Treve Holman (a member of the Holman Engineering family who made rock drills and loads of other mine related equipment) & his design team, this was a pneumatic mortar used in the anti aircraft role. Pneumatic because this was the power source for the Holman rock drills so most of the components were already available. There were 3 marks of projector, the last being able to send a 'projectile' to 1000ft. The projectile was in fact a No. 36 grenade held within a steel 'pot' for firing - the pot fell away after firing leaving the grenade to go on its way. The Royal Navy ordered 1000 of these weapons and they were successful in bring down several German aircraft. The first was on the 1st August 1940 when the SS Highlander was being attacked by 2 He115 float planes. The first was brought down by the Holmans and the other by MG fire. The one brought down by the Holmans actually crashed onto the deck of the Highlander wrecking the Holmans in the process. Treve Holman was so impressed with this success that he retrieved the damaged projector which, with an undamaged one, can be seen in the King Edward Mine museum which now houses much of the Holmans company museum contents. See attached.

And if in Plymouth, why not visit the Steak & Omlette House at the bottom of Cornwall St. for an amusing 'experience'. This has been in the same ownership for the last 33 years to my knowledge and still retains the original decor from that time. Apart from the really good meals at very reasonable prices, the waiting staff provide entertainment by openly joking with and gently insulting their regulars - they don't do it to those who they are not familiar with but you are free to join in if you wish! They are a really nice bunch of lads.

Dave

Attachments

• 100_1885.jpg
    100_1885.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_1887.jpg
    100_1887.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1882.jpg
    100_1882.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_1886.jpg