What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pistol carrying permits in USA

the UK sorted that out years ago, if you can conceal it then you are a criminal so you don't bother with paperwork.

The law is different in Northern Ireland to the rest of the UK. There are a fair few pistols legally held for personal protection over there.

For those who read the article to the end, it said that California and New York were highly restrictive to concealed carry permits. It is actually NOT true in case of New York. While the City of New York does not issue pistol carrying licences, the State of New York does and it is a relatively simple and quick process, unless one is a convicted felon. In the neighbouring State of New Jersey concealed carry licences are more rare than hen's teeth, but New Jersey will promptly issue a home possession licence (may keep a handgun at home but not carry on one's person).

I was the first person in my county to receive a Concealed Carry Permit, years ago and I've never carried since I got it. It was neat. I got my photo in the local news paper receiving it and shaking the County Sherriff's hand and whatever. I had carried before that around Detroit and Chicago until I learned where not to go. It's a lot safer to stay out of the bad areas, if you know where they are and can stay out. Far to many are stuck living in those areas and God Bless them for wanting to defend themselves and their Loved Ones. I like Open Carry the best, but it's weird to go to Walmart or wherever and see a biker looking guy with a Glock strapped to his side..................

In the Netherlands the government is working towards a system where only two groups of people are armed; criminals and the government.
We have sportshooters, but the government is making it more difficult time and again to get a licence, as rules and regulations become more strict and difficult to comply to.
Owning a gun for personel protection is possible in theory, but practical the number of people who are allowed can be counted on a sawmill employee's hand (after the accident that is).

In the Netherlands the government is working towards a system where only two groups of people are armed; criminals and the government.

The problem is the more harsh the law the more difficult it is to determine who is the criminal. The UK government has since the 1920's been progressively disarming lawful citizens who mainly want to shoot holes in paper targets. In the UK (mainland) no guns are licensed for self defence. You are expected to get shot, lie on the ground until the armed police arrive by which time the guy with the gun is long gone.

"The problem is the more harsh the law the more difficult it is to determine who is the criminal"
it's not that difficult, decent citizens do not have a criminal record.

My state of residence allows for Constitutional Carry. No permit required. They still offer permits, which have a few advantages when purchasing regulated firearms, but unnecessary if one feels the need to be armed. They do limit it to concealed carry, but I don't see a big hindrance with that. Hopefully, soon, the various state CCWPs will be honored nationwide, much like a driving license. AND suppressors! Can't wait 'til they ease up on that process.

My state of residence allows for Constitutional Carry. No permit required. They still offer permits, which have a few advantages when purchasing regulated firearms, but unnecessary if one feels the need to be armed. They do limit it to concealed carry, but I don't see a big hindrance with that. Hopefully, soon, the various state CCWPs will be honored nationwide, much like a driving license. AND suppressors! Can't wait 'til they ease up on that process.

Amen on the Suppressors. It is going to piss me off that I've paid the for the tax stamps on 9 suppressors already though!

I always laugh at the US rules on suppresors,here in new Zealand you can buy them in the sports stores,make your own no problem.loads of people use them for rabbit and other hunting so it dosent scare the other critters away.
although our gun laws are becoming tougher all the time.

In mainland UK, where only the police and criminals are allowed firearms and some military, you have to go to the place of purchase and give proof of identity and sign for a suppressor for an air weapon. This is because they are favoured by gangs engaged in inner city gang warfare. I doubt that this applies in downtown Wellington or Aukland.
They are not allowed in the mail.

"The problem is the more harsh the law the more difficult it is to determine who is the criminal"
it's not that difficult, decent citizens do not have a criminal record.

The problem is when when you can't tell the difference between an elected government and an oppressive big brother regime. Regarding firearms law the UK is now the latter.