What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helped Needed To Identify Unknown Projectile

AirMechanic

Hello, I am new to the forum and was hoping that someone on here would be able to help me identify a projectile that I recently found at a flea market in the United States. After attempting to do some internet research of my own on this item, I suspect that this shell may be a British 3 inch naval shell, but I may be altogether wrong. The projectile is about 9 1/4" high (234.95 mm) and about 3 3/8" (85.725 mm) in diameter. It weights about 20 lbs (9.07 kg). There are markings on it that say "103" and a date that I can't quite read, "5/?3", followed by "DKRF5484" and "BM145". Hopefully these markings will aid in the identification of this piece. Also, I believe that since the shell has a threaded hole in the bottom and it does not have a copper driving band, that these features will also help narrow down an ID as well. If anyone can identify this shell for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 63
I think Slick has got the ID.
A lot of the British 3" 25lb AP rocket projectiles were made from altered(driving band turned down,spigot screwed into tracer cavity) 25lb Artillery projectiles, but i believe the earlier ones were produced specifically as rocket proj.,and like this one would have an adaptor spigot screwed into the base.