What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for M111A2 fuze.

I am looking for a M111A2 fuze.
Any help in tracking down a M111A2 fuze we can use for reproduction will be greatly appreciated.

I have seen several postings of members having the M111A2 fuze and contacted the posters to learn the fuzes have been traded off over the years.

I would appreciate being able to beg, borrow, buy, or even lease one of the M111A2 fuzes so we can draw the parts in CAD for reproduction.

We cannot find any and need several for a project we are working.

I am part of a group restoring a B-25 to flying condition.
Here is our facebook page and web sight.

https://www.facebook.com/Sandbarmitchell/
http://www.warbirdsofglory.org

We are located in Brighton Michigan USA.
I live in Greenville, Ohio USA

The 488th Aircraft we are memorializing was shot down on March 20,1945 while part of the flak suppression flight to bomb the Campo North Railroad bridge in Italy.
8Z was carrying Chaff and M47A1 phosphorus bombs set to burst in the air using modified M111A2 fuzes.

The intent is to have on display the bomb load 8Z carried while on her final flight.

8Z was hit by flak and the crew bailed out to be captured and several tortured with three of the crew executed by the Gestapo.

I can go into more detail if asked.

If this post should go into another forum topic please move rather than delete and notify me.
Any help in finding a M111A2 fuze for our project would be appreciated.

We are also looking for a M47A1 bomb casing to reproduce as they seem to be as rare as the M111A2 fuzes....

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:
Send me a PM and we can exchange e-mail addresses, I am also in MI and may be able to assist.

All the best for your memorial project Ron. The crew of that plane and what was done to them should not be forgotten.

I am still looking for M111A2 fuzes.
Having originals is preferred.

Thanks to Slick I have a original M111A2 drawn up in CAD and have a reproduction quote.

Thanks

Fuze M111 A2

Just for interest (I hope) the Inter-Services Research Bureau (ISRB - the R&D division of SOE) acquired M111 fuzes for use with container dropping of stores. The purpose of the M111 fuze was to deploy the main parachute for the container at a relatively low altitude having dispatched them at say, 1000 feet. Initial UK work with this fuze was started by SOE and, due to inadequate resources, passed to the Royal Aircraft Establishment for further development.

There are a few M111A1 and M111A2 fuzes with SOE provenance (see images below) in the UK but the fuzes were also used by the RAF in other applications.

DSCF3095.JPGDSCF3093.JPG

Hi Ron et al

OK, stupid question time - how "uncommon" are these fuzes?

I ask because you seem to have challenges finding them in the US, where I would have thought to be the idea place for find them?

Thanking you.
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
They are not that uncommon, just one of those pieces that you don't pay a lot of attention to, until you want one. They are around, but usually in the bottom of a drawer or buried on the back of a shelf. There are about a half dozen of that style of mech time bomb fuze, but not being particularly sexy or fitting into any bombs that are more sought after, they don't receive a lot of attention. When you see one at the shows they aren't too expensive, just not really in demand.

If folks can keep an eye out for the M111A2 fuzes and let me know I would appreciate it.
I do not get out to the shows they would be at.
Thanks