What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US M127 and M127A1 Parachute Flares 1955-1978 - Sealed Cans

M8owner

I found a treasure trove, so I am ready for the 4th of July. I know how to make family reunions memorable. The oldest one is dated 1955. IMG_3493.jpg

Launched one about 5 years ago. They burn all the way to the ground. Set the woods on fire. Forestry Service got involved in the extinguishing. Was sorta kindly advised not to do that again. I said I was sorry.

signal illumination ground,does this mean it illuminates the ground(which would explain why it was still burning on the ground!)
or that it is fired from the ground?

They are hand launched and go up approx. 300 meters then deploy a magnesium flare from a parachute. It burns for about a minute, and will illuminate (Like it is day time) and area approx. 200 meters in diameter. I have fired off several at my house with none still burning by the time it hit the ground. No fire issues thus far. They remind me of my Army days in Germany. I remember launching these from a moving M1 Abrams tank by slamming them on the top of the turret at the Bergen Hoene training area.

Last edited: