What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 20 x 138mm Question

Buster

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
The attached pictures show two Italian 20 x 138mm. The one on the right is, I think, an APHE(T) Self Destruct?. The one on the left is similar except that there is a gold band and the projectile has a very different profile. Can any one tell me any more about this please and if it is unusual? (I have managed to swop the projectiles round in the second picture, so the one on the right.)

DSC_0132 2.jpgDSC_0135.jpg

Buster,

See attached, it's from an early Ammunition Bulletin and may not be totally correct. Description of an HE shell marking in the same era is Grey from base to shoulder, shoulder to tip Red.

TimG
italian.jpg

Hello,

I remember I already talked with "Fert" about these two shells.
As far as I know, the shell with pointed shape is a model 35 APHET
The other one (with rounded head) is also an APHE T but I don't know the nomenclature.
Fert could help us to understand colors, maybe he has new informations today.

Regards

Hello,
your rounds are early APHET, with an italian copy of the german BdZ5105 these 2 rounds was replaced by a different APHET.
in the italians color code, red means loaded, white band for AP.
the gold wasn't mentioned, and I think is a Damar paint, often used on shell not painted.
can you post please the case marking?

this is the later APHET
20mm mod35_0016.jpg
best regards

Thank you for the information Fert. The brass case is H/s 'BPD 40' the primer has been struck so there is no guarantee it is the original case. The copper washed steel case is H/s 'SMI 2/942 (a line under the 2) a diamond shape with P.6 inside ( possibly P.G) 20'. Hope this makes sense.