What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zib Militaria reproduction 8.8cm PzGr. 39

It looks like an Flak 18/36 or KwK 36 Pz gr 39-1 late, small fuse version (verses a Pz gr 39). The driving bands are too small to be the KwK 43 version. In my opinion.

Is supposed to look like a 39 or 39/1. The drivingbands look too rounded, although that might just be due to the quality of the picture. The bands are of a wrong desingn to represent those of a 39/43. As M8 owner pointed out, they should at least be wider to come near to depicting those.

Greetz

Thanks for that. I was likewise thinking it looked more like the earlier version.

It occurred to me that if you gave one a proper paint + markings makeover and added it to one of those relatively inexpensive Finnish rework Flak 18 cases, you could make up a fairly good faux Tiger E round without breaking the bank.

Thanks for that. I was likewise thinking it looked more like the earlier version.

It occurred to me that if you gave one a proper paint + markings makeover and added it to one of those relatively inexpensive Finnish rework Flak 18 cases, you could make up a fairly good faux Tiger E round without breaking the bank.

Great minds think alike, even better with some c/22 primers that I have sourced

88%20painted%202_zpsfqtmyr12.jpg

Those look great but I wonder if the cartridges would look better with the paint removed. Has anyone tried to do this?
Fred

Very nice work. Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Do they fit in the cases easily?

Could someone also clear up for me whether the drive bands on WWII German AP projectiles of this sort were painted? I've done much googling, but haven't been able to pin down a definite answer.

Cheers,
Mark

Great minds think alike, even better with some c/22 primers that I have sourced

88%20painted%202_zpsfqtmyr12.jpg

None of the German projectiles that I have with FES (sintered iron) driving bands and original paint had any paint on the driving bands.

I tried to remove the paint from an 88mm steel case refurbished by Finland. It is a very tough finish. I used a wire wheel, but the result looked much worse than simply leaving it as it gray.

Thanks for the info. They seem to have a gloss varnish on top of the grey paint. I might try to strip one and repaint it in a matt grey.
Fred

The Zib projectiles are a good fit into the cases, the odd one needs a bit of a shove that's all.
If you use Xylene Metal Paint Thinners you can take off the lacquer and it brings up the stamps a bit better.

flak%2088%20primer_zpszgxgxulg.jpg

It looks like the base has been skimmed in a lathe, possibly to remove the original headstamp, but why? I have seen several Finnish cases like this. Last night I started to remove the varnish on one of mine. It comes off easily with thinners but the underlying grey finish seems to be much more resistant to solvents.
fred

I read on another forum that they aren't painted grey - the colour comes from the cases being sand blasted when refurbished, over which is a coating of clear lacquer.

Is this true?

That could be true. It did not seem like a normal finish at all. I essentially ended up with a bright metal finish after polishing mine with a wire wheel.

I have read similar comments about the sandblasting. I suspect the grey is a parkerised finish and sandblasting is normally used in preparation for this process. I believe that the Germans produced grey phosphated cartridges although I haven't seen an original example in 88mm.

fred

The fins phosphated and painted them over. The paint comes off easy, the other not. Phosphating i not seen at all cases. Only ot "more worse" ones, i seen removed rust holes under the phospatic coat to.