What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian Naval Signal Flare?.....Any idea of Date?

ammofo

I've just picked this up and recognised it as Italian due to SMI. I've since found that it's probably a signal flare (naval) but does anybody have any idea of a possible date range. It's an inch across the mouth of the case and 94mm long.
DSC01269.jpgThe figure at 12 o'clock appears to be a 'knot' motif? The number at 3 o'clock is '918'

Hi its definitely an Italian flare case and is the correct length, these were used in ww2 but not sure if before/after. Does it have any colour remaining on the case to show loading?Can you post a pic of the case side on? Cheers Tig.

I had seen a few references to colour coded cases, but this one has no trace of any colour or labels on the side. (So unfortunately a 'side on' photo would be even less exciting than a picture of Corbyn ironing his socks.....)
I like the sound of WW2. I had wondered if it might be a tad earlier. I might have to dig out an Italian case that I researched a while back. I'm sure that had '918' stamped on it but I can't remember what it means.
I wish I'd bought the other one now as it had different head stamps.....silly boy.

It could well be earlier,and yes you should have bought the other! I would have as I don't think they are common. Tig

Hello,
case was manufactured for the italian 25mm Nordenfeld, headstamp are standard Italian navy, SMI 1918 L6( lot ) and Sabaudo Knot (navy acceptance stamp)
after ww1 many 25mm cases was reused for the Very flare guns. These cases are half painted with the flare color.

very.jpg

Thanks Fert, so '918' = 1918....that would shift it into my WW1 collection which is great.
Do you know if the primer was changed when the cartridges were re-used as Very flares?....and if so, does the primer in this one indicate that it WAS re-used or NOT?
I also note that the primer on mine has no visible indentations. Does anybody have an opinion on this as the case is obviously almost identical to the 1" aiming round (of which I have a later British example), and that round was electrically primed. Would the 1918 Italian round be too early for an electric primer?

FERT - Are your primers different on your two painted flare examples?

Hello,
in re-used case was used same primer. When cases was reloaded a punch and date was applied. Italian 25mm Nordenfeld didn't use electric primer.
Here a ww2 made case for sub caliber gun

MB made lot 20 1926, reloaded in 31 and 35 with 2 *
the different primer was also used in ww1
MB L20-26 31 35.jpg

here base for flare guns, as you can see no reloading stamp but 1941 primer
Tempini flare.jpg

regards

So it's safe to say that my 1918 case was never fired and never re-loaded....
That's great info again Fert, you've really helped me sort this one out.
Thank you so much.
Jon