What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification question regarding 8x50 Lebel

dhooghe

Hi,
Could anyone assist with the following case head stamp identification?
The cartridge case is an 8x50 Lebel

Head stamp:

ART.D​

2 09​

VE . M​

My searching to date indicates:

ART.D = Artillerie (Service), Balle "D" ( Balle Desaleux).
VE = Cartoucherie de Valence
Manufacture Q2 - 1909

I am confused by having ART.D (Balle "D") and M on the same case.

Does the M refer to Balle M or, is it something else?

Would greatly appreciate help in identification and any additional background information.

Last edited:
The 'M' refers to the name of the company who supplied the case metal. I'm reasonably certain it indicates a company called 'Compagnie Generale d'Electrometallurgie, Havre' however another website lists the company as 'SA cuivre et Alliage, Ham'.
Either way....its the case metal supplier.
Jim

Hello,
ART.D , ART.M have Nothing to do with the kind of bullet used.
First kind of cases had only ART at 12 o'clock which refer as you said to "artillerie".
In 1891 because of problems of base separation when firing, they modified the profile of the case and these cases where heastamped ART.M (M stand for modifié).
Later,around 1899-1900, instead of stamping the primer hole, they decided to drill it (in french the résult of this machinering is call dégorgement and they add a groove on the base around the primer and the case was headstamped ART.D (D stand for dégorgement).
8x50R lebel manipulation Mle 1886 (1).jpg8x50R lebel Mle   1886D.jpg8x50R lebel à blanc Mle 1892.jpg
Regards
Laurent