What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

light my mills

ludokhan

Pretty little discovery that this ''Wick" grenade .....is how the seller present it to me, rather funny.

Fortunately the cork is not pierced through and through.
Only to weld to the tin to ensure the watertightness of the oil tank. never use i think .

IMG_4236.jpgIMG_4237.jpgIMG_4238.jpgIMG_4239.jpgIMG_4242.jpgIMG_4243.jpgIMG_4244.jpgIMG_4245.jpg

Look at the serial number on the ''filler'' cap (reg n°653421 )

Very nice. I've not seen one of those. I suspect the 'serial number' where the filler hole should be is in fact a design registration number.

John

The Registered Design number, 653421, for a grenade-based table lighter dates from end of 1915.

AGS manufactured nuts and bolts amongst other things. The company did not exist prior to WWI.

Attachments

• AGS.jpg
    AGS.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 25
Very good,

I am nevertheless surprised to date proposing '' 1915 '' the grenade is 1918.
Why wait two years to produce the object after filing the patent.
And especially during the bulk of the war effort of the British arms industry ....

Also, just after the entry of the war of England existed already a market for 'trench art'.

I think that it was an object produced between the two wars, either with the remains of production....1918.... or especially for the patent.

Anyway Thank you for your comments. I appreciate.

I am nevertheless surprised to date proposing '' 1915 '' the grenade is 1918.
QUOTE]

Like it or not, the design for a table lighter - based on a No.5 casing - was registered at the end of 1915. Most of the ornamental designs (paper weight, money box, ink well memento, etc) were all done in 1915-1916. The designs were registered sequentially and chronologically, so No.651542 (ink well memento) was late 1915 and No.655472 (money box) was 1916. No.653421 falls between these two.

It is remarkable that so soon after the launch of the Mills, people were planning to make war souvenirs from them.