What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm projectile i.d needed

earni74

Premium Member
here is another projectile (57mm) I am not able to find information on, can anyone help identify it for me, as you can see, there is only one stamp on the base which is VR in a circle, brass banded and with a brass fuze adapter/socket, thanks003.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

Hello,

In France I know this shell as a 6pr-57mm segment/shrapnel Hotchkiss.

(In French museum but no doc)

Regards

looking through all posts relating to the 57mm, I "think" I have a 5.7 x 225mm Nordenfeld
any comments to this assumption will be welcome
mick

The rounded triple band is certainly a Hotchkiss production (or made to exact Hotchkiss pattern), very uncommon to find
this original band pattern. If the marking is British, then it would be Armstrong who would have made it to spec.

Hotchkiss has been considered, I just don't know, MINENAZ16 has seen one in a museum, so I will opt for Hotchkiss possibly for export, the (VR) stamp on the base of the shell is still a mystery to me.

MINENAZ, do you know the case length for this projectile and which fuze it has
mick

Hello Mick,

No info on the fuze. The shell was found with a plug (and filled lead balls and segments). We think the shell was manufactured under licence in France. Nothing about the case.

002.jpg003.jpg006.jpgHi Sebastien, thankyou for your input,very interesting that it was filled with lead balls and segments , i can see inside that there are 6 verticle top to bottom segments, also, it has a thin shelf at the bottom and rounded for the powder cup just like a normal shrapnel round.

I can also see that it had a (TIN ?) liner covering the segments inside although only the top one third is visible, i have tried to take a couple of photo's shining a torch inside the shell, i hope you can see this.
mick