What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with M-301a1 mortar markings

f4efxr

I'm going to restore a U.S. 81mm M-301a1 illumination mortar round and I need some clear pics of the body markings. I'm going to do it in 1950s era with grey body and white text. Can anyone assist ? Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Mike

There are a number of different body configurations for that round, like the presence of gas obturating rings and their location on the tail assembly or on the body. If you want accuracy, you don't just paint any body any color. Can you post a photo of your body and tail assembly.

See the book pictured below, change no. 16 of 1987, section 4 page 27, available on Google books.

Image11.jpg

Regards,

S.

This should help. Sorry that it took a week to find my round. I didn't look in the manuals to see if the lettering sizes present are confirmed but this is how they measure..... white band... 1/2" wide, model and type....narrow 3/4" high, lot and other markings...3/8" high.P1040938.jpgP1040939.jpgP1040940.jpgP1040941.jpgP1040942.jpg

That's a nice round Rick!

Yes, it is. It came from a demil facility in Indiana a few years ago. I'd been holding out for a WWII vintage M301 illuminating round but have never encountered one. When this one came along, I figured it was about as close as I'd ever get.