What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 80mm Mle 1877 shrapnel

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I think is a fired shrapnel shell from the 80 Mle 1877 de Bange gun, although I am happy to be corrected. My understanding is the 80mm gun was used to support French cavalry divisions with the 90mm being the equivalent gun for the infantry divisions. Painted red at present, but if someone has better information on the proper paint scheme I would be grateful. The projectile is 230mm long, base diameter of 80mm and the driving band is 15mm wide. Pictured alongside a 9cm German projectile for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 46
Hello,

It's ok for French shrapnel 80mm model 1880 with TP fuze 25-38 model 1880.
This shell was painted red (no reference of the offical red paint code)
Coud you show the base and inside the body (with a lamp) ?

Regards

Last edited:
Additional pictures as requested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 21
Thank you.
I asked you pictures of the head and inside because Mle 1880 is filled balls with segments walls. So with a lamp segments are visible when the shell is empty.
But I can't see inside in your pictures.
Is it a notch visible on the head ? If I'm right the head could be screwed so it could be another model and not mle 1880.

Regards

80.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Minenaz, sorry for the poor photo it is difficult to get a descent inside shot with the small fuze apature. The shell body is completely hollow with no segments visible. About a 100mm down into the shell there is a ridge running around the body which may indicate the head is screwed onto the body. Many thanks for your efforts to identify this projectile.

Very interesting shell.
I know 80mm shrapnel mle 1895 with head screwed but fitted with a 30-38 fuze and not 25-38 (like yours).
Powder shell m1877 and shrapnel m1880 were first made with 25mm fuzes and then modified for new 30mm fuzes.
But nothing in my doc about mle 1895 shrapnel with 25mm fuze (only with 30mm).
I assume your 25mm fuze fit very well ? Is there a little space around the thread, do you think a 30mm fuze could be screwed ?

Black Powder m1877
80MM  1877 BLACK POWDER.jpg

Shrapnel m1880
80mm mle 1880 SHRAPNEL.jpg

shrpanel m1885
80mm mle 1895 SHRAPNEL.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks Minenaz, your contribution to this site is truly exceptional and I am continually amazed by the quality of your responses plus the documentation you provide.
The projectile is without doubt a Model 1895 shrapnel, the inner ridge is present. The threats on the shell are heavily rusted so I did not question the loose fit of the fuze. I am sure you are right and the correct fuze would have been of 30mm diameter. Very many thanks for your continued support to BOCN.