What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hales Grenade BOXES/CASE with TINS/ETC.

Hi Gang! I've learned in my online research that the No3 Hales Grenades were transported in boxes (A Book on Rifle and Hand Grenades by Major Graham M. Awsue), specifically....

"Packing. Grenades packed twenty in wooden box in protecting tins with screw-off lids and four tins containing 20-in. special detonators, rifle, grenades and twenty-two special blank cartridges."

But I've been unable to find any images of the boxes the grenades were stored in. Do any still exist today?

Last edited:
You can sometimes get a tin but I've never seen an original box. The No 20 also came in tins. From memory there may be a photo in Rick Landers' book.

Hi Gang! I've learned in my online research that the No3 Hales Grenades were transported in boxes (A Book on Rifle and Hand Grenades by Major Graham M. Awsue), specifically....

"Packing. Grenades packed twenty in wooden box in protecting tins with screw-off lids and four tins containing 20-in. special detonators, rifle, grenades and twenty-two special blank cartridges."

But I've been unable to find any images of the boxes the grenades were stored in. Do any still exist today?

I have a drawing of the box scanned as a jigsaw puzzle. If you PM your email address I will send a copy that you can print and paste. Example pages attached

Regards,

View attachment Pages from BoxNo3Gren(OPT).pdf

no3 grenade box jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful.

Box to be of Deal, Handle cleats of Elm. Rather different to today.

Great information so far guys! Thank you for sharing it.

I had to look up "Deal Wood"...

"deal

(diːl) n
(Forestry) a plank of softwood timber, such as fir or pine, or such planks collectively
2. (Forestry) the sawn wood of various coniferous trees, such as that from the Scots pine (red deal) or from the Norway Spruce (white deal)"

I'm guessing Scots pine would apply to a British made box!

Great photo find @SPOTTER ! I wonder if the No20 boxes were the same ones they made for the No3?

Any other blueprints for the No20 boxes @Bonnex ? Spectacular find on that No3 blueprint by the way, and yes please!!! PM underway!

Great information so far guys! Thank you for sharing it.

I had to look up "Deal Wood"...

"deal

(diːl) n
(Forestry) a plank of softwood timber, such as fir or pine, or such planks collectively
2. (Forestry) the sawn wood of various coniferous trees, such as that from the Scots pine (red deal) or from the Norway Spruce (white deal)"

I'm guessing Scots pine would apply to a British made box!

Great photo find @SPOTTER ! I wonder if the No20 boxes were the same ones they made for the No3?

Any other blueprints for the No20 boxes @Bonnex ? Spectacular find on that No3 blueprint by the way, and yes please!!! PM underway!
'Yellow Deal' as noted on the drawing, is one of several names for the timber from the Scots Pine (Pinus Sylvestris).