What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 75mm recoilless Rifle round, dated 1945.

Rainy day here in Georgia, just back home and notified I won this beauty at an auction. I have a 57mm and 106mm ( 105mm) RR and was looking for a 75mm RR to complete the set. Not in my possession yet, but I am posting some pics for interest, comments, history, thoughts. I will post markings and better pictures when in possession. Years ago I had a complete Firestone 1945 M18 57mm RR sub cal to .50, shot it often, then sold it to the DDay museum in New Orleans ( one of my many mistakes in life), this time around, my growing "collection" stays with me and can be sold off when I give up the ghost....my charming wife will probably give the stuff away.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 101
That's a cool round and I almost bid on it too until realizing I already had one. Note the markings are "75mm M48". It's a 75mm M48 HE artillery projectile converted to recoilless rifle use by pre-engraving the rotating band. It was a good way to use up 75mm cannon projectiles in the new recoilless rifles.

Thank you for the information. Was that conversion official practice? In other words, can it be considered " correct"?

I've never seen a 75RR HE that wasn't an M48, with that designation XXXed out.

Yes, definitely correct to see converted artillery shells made into RR projectiles.

I've never seen a 75RR HE that wasn't an M48, with that designation XXXed out.

John, actually neither of my 75mm RR HE rounds are marked with "X"ed out text, though I have seen them too. My oldest has two different roll stamps.....the original 1945 75mm M48 markings just above the rotating band and 75mm M309A1 about 3/4" above that.

The second is a purpose made 75mm M309A1 HE manufactured in 1953 with no M48 related markings.

Well Rick, if you would send one of them down to me (preferably the one with the nice yellow lettering), then I would have seen one.

Would any one care to post pictures? .......greatly appreciated by all, and it becomes permanent future reference material in the Internet land for future collectors.

Pictures as promised, it finally arrived. A beautiful piece. Just as " Ordnance" described. Engraving just above the band- Lot LAY-2-96 1945 75MM M48-half inch above that - Lot FA-1-14 1950 75MM M309A1-.No primer, but near pristine case. Projectile fits snug, a rubber band in the grooving made it a solid fit. Yellow ink at base excellent. Four threaded holes drilled into shell, why threaded? Probably my favorite piece.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Very nice round. Congratulations. The 1945 dated case is particularly tough to find and that's a great example. Once I got my converted M48 projectile out and took a hard look at it, I realized I should have bid against you! Mine is really rough in comparison as it's a fired and recovered example.

The newer one is much nicer and I'll try to get a photo this weekend and post it.

Very nice round. Congratulations. The 1945 dated case is particularly tough to find and that's a great example. Once I got my converted M48 projectile out and took a hard look at it, I realized I should have bid against you! Mine is really rough in comparison as it's a fired and recovered example.

The newer one is much nicer and I'll try to get a photo this weekend and post it.

Thank you for the information. Realize I am just a green horn in this field and appreciate all the info I can get. I find it interesting ( I am ex Army Airborne 1970's- not a Redleg) ....I am involved in our CAF, MVPA, and haul this stuff out to shows while I still can. Amazing responses as Ordnance is rarely seen at these events. I do it for two reasons, my father was an Infantryman in Patton's army( CIB, Bronze Star, Purple Heart- Kraut MG Ruhr Pocket) and I have a 10 year old son I take to all the shows....yes, we had a blast on the 4th, when I pass along, not many youngsters today will carry on the memories or honor our past....hopefully he will ...on to the M48 projo....further inspection shows the four perfectly threaded holes, stranger, all 4 1/4 28 thread, but counterbored further in reveals 1/4 32 threaded on two holes, perfect threading....not a bubba tap job. Factory done? Or did bubba try to make a lamp? ....as for bidding it up I am not sure it would have been worth it, they scalped me on shipping....now, all I lack is a 90MM RR to complete the RR collection....any one have one?....I have an extra 3in MK II M2 B1 1944 casing that I would love to make a trade/ cash deal for a 90RR.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Finally found a moment to take a couple photos of the M309A1 HE recoilless round next to my M48. Threw in a recently acquired 3" M42 AA projectile just because.

I also think your extra holes might have started out as EOD inerting holes that were later threaded, either for plugs or as a lamp as suggested earlier. I would finish plugging them if it were mine.

DSC00992.jpgDSC00998.jpgDSC00997.jpgDSC00996.jpg

Here is a blue painted, inert US 75mm HE round available for sale on a US web site for $345.

Attachments

• Inert US 75mm HE Recoilless 1.jpg
    Inert US 75mm HE Recoilless 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Inert US 75mm HE Recoilless 2.jpg
    Inert US 75mm HE Recoilless 2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Inert US 75mm HE Recoilless 3.jpg
    Inert US 75mm HE Recoilless 3.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 15