What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In WWII did the Germans make penthrite wax into pellets to be inserted into the gaine

WWIIBuff

I recently picked up these two German WWII "gaine" containers, however the gaines do not fit in them. I thought that maybe the one with the wood interior has just "swollen" over time so the gaine did not fit, however the bakelite box for the SD2 gaine could not have done the same. So this makes me wonder, instead of being containers for the gaines themselves, could these have instead been containers for pellets of penthrite wax to be inserted into the gaines?

Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited:
Here's one with a few of the inserts to show what they look like.
They're the inner parts for the Bakelite gains.
Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 58
Thank you for the quick replies and great reference pictures guys. Now I get it. :tinysmile_shy_t: Actually now I also remember seeing pictures of Zündladung in your collection Harry.

So the bakelite box holds 25 of the Kl.Zdlg.34 (Klein Zündladungen 34) primer charges for use inside the bakelite gaine of the SD2 Butterfly bombs.

The aluminum box with the wood interior holds 5 of the Kl.Zdlg.c/98 (Kurz Zündladungen c/98) primer charges for use inside the metal gaines of the various fuzes for German aerial bombs.

I'm still learning. I guess now I need to start looking for a couple examples of each of these primer charges for my collection. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Does anyone have an example of the type of transport case that would have been used to hold the bakelite gaines for the SD2? I've seen examples of the container for the larger metal gaines like Harry showed above, but I guess I have not seen the container for the smaller gaines.