What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm APFSDS proof projectile

Spaceinvader

Hello all!
As some of you know I love discarding sabot items, and after spending some pretty pennies I was able to get this interesting one from the US.
As far as I know some type of proof load for APFSDS rounds. I believe it is a US used/made one. I was sent a picture from a Little field Collection auction that showed some of these in a crate.

Currently sitting in a steel US M150B1 casing. The projectile itself is a steel front half (the blue section) with the silver section being aluminum. The fins are magnesium, and resemble M735 fins but smaller. My example has chipped bent fins unfortunately. It has a pocket for a tracer unit too (not present). Pictured next to a 105mm US M735 penetrator for scale.
The drive band is the correct slip-type nylon band. It spins freely of the projectile overtop an inner plastic buffer. Below is a crimping groove. It weighs approx. 8lbs.

If anyone has info on it that would be greatly appreciated.

Rhys

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 58
It makes sense that it would be a proof projo. The only thing that needs to be the correct shape, is the part inside the case. There are three types of 105G cases. the HEP-T projo goes in the M150 series case, the APDS goes in the M115 series cases, and the APFSDS projos go in the M148 series cases. (TM 43-0001-28)

Thanks for the info! I will switch them around tonight. I am not sure what type off the top of my head the brass case is, however its Canadian so probably doesnt use the same designation system (Canadian made and used).