What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25pdr manufacturers stampings puzzles (well it puzzles me anyway)

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
hi all, please see the attached photos of a couple of 25pdr shells that have me puzzled. The first 2 show the base of an HE MkI. after the broad arrow and CL there is 'LOT' then nothing but then what could be a date '3.39' and then '54 9' which could also be a date although it would be unusual for it to be shown year and then month. Equally, in my experience, having a full stop between the month & year is unusual, it normally being a ' /'. The original paint is mid buff and not the more yellowish colour normally seen in early war shells. Was this a 1939 shell re-manufactured in 1954? (it came filled with an inert wax, with a pale blue paint finish but that was a modern water based paint which came off easily without having any effect on the underlying mid buff)

The third photo shows a 25pdr Mk2 BE Smoke. The stampings read
A1
BE SMK
25 PR
Mk2 - AUST
FS IPG
8/45 87

does 'AUST' indicate Australia and if so why? And what does IPG stand for?

Any thoughts?

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_1985.jpg
    100_1985.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_1986.jpg
    100_1986.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_1987.jpg
    100_1987.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 53
With respect to the HE -

What are the markings on the side?

Is that CL or CI?

Is that a Roman I or an Arabic 1 (after Mk.)?

With respect to the BE

I would hazard a guess at it being a Mk. 2 Australian Pattern

As for IPG, as it follows FS (Forged steel) I would guess at it being the forgemaster's code letters (shown when the forgemaster is not the steelmaker).

TimG

Last edited:
hi Tim, the only markings in the side of the HE are a small broad arrow .75 inches above the drive band and 2 inches down from the mouth 'NCC80' (it could be NCC60 or NCCS0 - the penaltimate number or letter stamp is incomplete).
On the base, it is definitely 'CL' and an Arabic '1'.

thanks for the info on the smoke - any idea what the difference was for the 'Australian' pattern?

regards, Dave